Donate Books or Funds
The principal source of income of the Friends of the Library is the sale of donated books.
Beginning April 21, 2021, we will be accepting book donations during these hours:
- Wednesdays from 2-4 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon
FOL volunteers will accept donations delivered directly to our storage sheds which sit between the History House and the Police Station. Donations will not be accepted in the library or at the Friends of the Library portable/trailer.
General donation guidelines:
- Books must be packed tightly in closed boxes.
- We will ask you to put your boxes on our hand-trucks and we will move the hand-trucks to storage.
- Please wear a mask and maintain 6' social distancing at curbside.
We gladly accept gently used books, DVDs, audiobooks, CDs, and puzzles.
Sorry, but we cannot accept:
- Books with missing pages, heavily marked, broken spines, water-damaged, bad smelling or otherwise not in re-sale condition
- Foreign-language materials
- Home-produced CDs and DVDs, commercial tapes (Cassettes, VHS) or vinyl records (78s, 45s, LPs)
- Ephemera (posters, postcards, travel brochures, greeting/blank cards, letters, lists, diaries)
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books or magazines
- Test preparation materials that are more than 2 years old
- Travel guidebooks that are more than 5 years old
- Games & toys
Donations are tax deductible. Receipts will be available at the time that you drop off your books.If you have any questions about how to best make a book donation, please contact us.
If you would like to JOIN the Friends of the Library of Los Altos or renew your existing membership, as well as make a donation, please go to the membership application form where you can do everything at once. Otherwise:
- Donate online (donation form)
- Donate by mail by printing the donation form, filling it out and mailing it along with your check, to the address below. Make your check payable to Friends of the Library of Los Altos and Community.
PO Box 212
Los Altos, CA 94023-0212
Memorial donations: Please think of us when making donations in memory of book lovers. When we receive donations in memory of individuals, the money can be used to purchase books that the individual might have enjoyed. For memorial donations, please provide the name of the person being remembered and their interests, and the name and address of the family member or other person who should receive donation notification.
Donate Funds to our New Program, Books For Schools
Books for Schools is a designated fund established by the Friends of the Library of Los Altos to pay for the books that teachers purchase for their classrooms at our used book sales. Teachers from K-8 have been taking advantage of this opportunity since May 2019. Thanks to a recent grant from the Los Altos Community Foundation, we will expand the program to cover K-12 at our February 2020 sale.
Since Books4Schools began the fund has placed over 2500 books in local classrooms. 35 teachers from 5 school districts have participated. Your donation will allow us to continue this very popular program. A dollar given to this fund puts a book in a classroom and supports the library at the same time. All teachers and librarians in publicly supported schools are eligible to register by sending an email to the address below.
To DONATE to the fund, note on your donation form and your check that it is for “Books for Schools.” Please donate by mail by printing the donation form, filling it out and mailing it along with your check, to the address below. Make your check payable to Friends of the Library of Los Altos and Community.Friends of the Library
PO Box 212
Los Altos, CA 94023-0212
Direct any further questions and/or requests for more information to: email@example.com
TEACHERS, TO PARTICIPATE, send us an email with your name, school, grade, principal, and principal's email address by 4PM of the Thursday before the sale. All teachers from publicly supported schools grades K-12 are eligible. The deadline for registration for the February sale is Sunday, February 2.
Friends of the Library of Los Altos and Community is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Our federal tax ID is 94-6083773. Your membership and donations are tax deductible as allowable by law. To learn more about our sources of funds and expenditures, see our Annual Report for the last fiscal year.