Achievements - How We Help the Library
Friends’ contributions have helped make the Main Library and Woodland Branch truly special places, funding new books and media as well as live programs and equipment.
- Programs - We fund most children’s programs, all teen programs and many adult programs.
- Materials – We provide the money for many new books for the Los Altos community, including the popular bestseller collection.
- We contribute to the purchase of equipment and furnishings.
- We spun off the Los Altos Library Endowment as an Endowment branch for fundraising.
Some specifics of our past and ongoing contributions are:
Books and media
- 7-day loan collection of important new fiction and non-fiction.
- $300,000 to the Vision 21 campaign – funding the science and technology collection
- Expansion of the collections of DVDs, CDs and recorded books.
- Starting and ongoing funding of the Friends Best Seller Collection
- Art docent lectures
- World Affairs Council
- Master Gardeners and California Native Plant Society programs
- Craft programs
- Halloween Mystery Event
- Summer Reading: performers, prizes, awards
- Teen Poetry Competition prizes
- Children’s Book Club books and supplies
- Children’s Storytimes
Equipment and Furnishings
- Program room chairs
- Teen room tables and chairs
- Computers and printers
- Bike racks
- Electronic bulletin board
- Wireless sound system
- Staff area space dividers
- Woodland Branch bookcases
- 3D printer and supplies
- $100,000 for 1992 Library Expansion
- 2006 feasibility study and preliminary plans for expansion of Main Library
- Remodeling of Woodland Branch