Friends’ contributions have helped make the Main Library and Woodland Branch truly special places, funding new books and media as well as live programs and equipment.
- Programs - We fund most children’s programs, all teen programs and many adult programs.
- Materials – We provide the money for many new books for the Los Altos community, including the popular bestseller collection.
- We contribute to the purchase of equipment and furnishings.
- We spun off the Los Altos Library Endowment as an Endowment branch for fundraising.
Some specifics of our past and ongoing contributions are:
Books and media
- 7-day loan collection of important new fiction and non-fiction.
- $300,000 to the Vision 21 campaign – funding the science and technology collection
- Expansion of the collections of DVDs, CDs and recorded books.
- Starting and ongoing funding of the Friends Best Seller Collection
- Art docent lectures
- World Affairs Council
- Master Gardeners and California Native Plant Society programs
- Craft programs
- Halloween Mystery Event
- Summer Reading: performers, prizes, awards
- Teen Poetry Competition prizes
- Children’s Book Club books and supplies
- Children’s Storytimes
Equipment and Furnishings
- Program room chairs
- Teen room tables and chairs
- Computers and printers
- Bike racks
- Electronic bulletin board
- Wireless sound system
- Staff area space dividers
- Woodland Branch bookcases
- 3D printer and supplies
- $100,000 for 1992 Library Expansion
- 2006 feasibility study and preliminary plans for expansion of Main Library
- Remodeling of Woodland Branch